Monday, June 17, 2013

Lilac Peplum Petal Dress + Keeping Cool in +40 C

Hello fashionistas!

I have recently gone on an amazing vacation which was paired with a magical event - our friends' wedding! Other than the happiness surrounding this beautiful couple I was overjoyed by the prospect of making a new dress. What else is new? Just give me a reason! 

I made the dress from Simplicity Pattern 1876. But, as I so often do, I made my own modifications to it. I decided to make the bodice out of a contrasting fabric - lilac satin - and the bottom petals - out of a darker purple one. I had a scrap of lace which I had bought as a sample a while ago. I thought it fit in beautifully as a belt to the dress. I also sewed a lilac flower to it to make the dress look even more festive and summery.


The wedding took place on the hottest day of our vacation. (That is why you see me drenched in the picture!) But that is why I was happy with my choice of dressing: strapless and short! I wore the dress with a nude envelope clutch and my nude heels.


Since the resort life for me is a non-stop party I had to think how to look party-like and not drop from the heat while at it. So here are a couple of solutions I came up with. 


Apparently, white shorts go with everything(left)! And a top can function as a dress if it is +40C outside (right). Just because I am melting does not mean that my accessories should dissolve too. My favourite peep-toe lace up shoes went great with an asymmetrically draped yellow top! And my new BCBG flat sandals perfectly completed my aqua dress.




Can't. Get. Enough!


Lesson of the week: don't let the heat melt down your fashion sense!

1 comment: