Friday, July 27, 2012

Sublime Beauty

Today I would like to share a find that I just happened to stumble across in the library. For those of you who do not know I work in a library and I just LOVE the randomness with which some materials land in my lap. This time around it was a book on Christopher Beane titled Flower. I have to say that I have never heard about this photographer before and I was absolutely awestruck by his photographs of flowers. The images are delicious, juicy, sexual, provocative and simply beautiful. In his photographs he shows familiar flowers like they have never been seen before. Well, take a look for your self:


These luscious flowers are bound to inspire even those among us who deem themselves least creative. I know I started sketching immediately after I opened the book. I like to pretend that I am so microscopic that I can take a dive into these fantasy 'flower-scapes' and wander their curved labyrinths losing myself in their smell and texture. What a setting for a fantasy film!

Unfortunately, there is only a small sample of good quality photographs available online and I am not able to show you more, but even here you can feel the movement of the petals that looks like the luxurious silks of an aristocratic damsel. 

Here is the famous and sensual The Tulip Weber Orgy Series #3. No comment required...

For a while, Beane was preoccupied with dead vegetation. This obsession gave birth (oxymoron intended!) to the likes of the following photograph:
I have never seen Death portrayed in such beautiful and touching light! I will definitely be on the lookout for his exhibitions just to experience the shivers go down my spine from these sublime creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment