Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Colour is Power

To continue where I left off last time I would like to say that "Advanced Styl-istas'" cheerful approach to fashion is not reserved solely to old ladies. At least, in my humble opinion it should not be. There is nothing more dreary than swimming through a sea of casual greyness as you walk around the city. As Jessi Arrington, a Brooklyn designer, put it "Colour is powerful. It is almost physiologically impossible to be in a bad mood when you're wearing bright red pants!" I could not agree more. Holding that as my fashion mantra, I would like to share with you a photo of my dear friend who is anything but boring, both inside and out. 



I don't know how she combines the mind of a scientist (she works in a science lab) with the soul of an artist (she is a painter) but perhaps it is this union of her right and left brains that gives birth to such a feast of colour and play of silhouette in her outfits. Nonchalant? Yes, but also very original and expressive. A very well chosen background too by the way! Thank you for letting me share this photo - it's a treat for the eye!

The fabulous thing about self-expression through personal style is that you do not have to regularly run out and buy the latest "in" item. You can find endless ways to wear the pieces you already own through various combinations. Colours look different when juxtaposed next to different colours, a belt turns a casual dress into a classy, evening one. High heels can dress up and flats can dress down any outfit. The right piece of jewelry and accessory can diversify  your outfits and make a world of difference in your look. Stay tuned and I will show various ways of wearing the same pieces to create different looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment